Tuesday 2 June 2015

Strange Fish by the canalside

A few weeks ago while counting the Swans for my brothers records along the Trent and Mersey canal we spotted the body of a large fish on the towpath and it was very unique. As soon as I saw the fish I new it was a freshwater sturgeon and I reported to the Canal and River trust on Twitter. I sent them the photographs below and as you can see it was very decomposed plus it really was smelly. I'm guessing it died a couple of months ago and was either dumped dead into the canal or was released and then died in the low Oxygenated water on the canal.
I was informed by the CRT fishing experts it was a Sterlet and you can click here to learn more about them.
Thanks for reading my blog
Stay wild, be happy and be safe

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment