Sunday 16 October 2022

Walks into the Welsh mountains and a new writer on my blog

With the last of my holidays I decided to split them up into long weekends and I have given myself a long weekend every month to get on the Welsh coast and go up into the mountains to retune to nature and forget about the boredom of working in a retail environment surrounded by people stuck in there ruts. Sometimes the groundhog day feeling needs to be broken either in the mountains or by the sea.
 
The air was warm the sun was shining to explore the mountain was my goal and I found a lovely few wild swimming/camping spots with views, peace and waterfall pools and I think I did just that and seeing Buzzards and choughs on the wing made the short trip worthwhile. 

As I headed into the mountains my younger brother Ryan went by the sea with his camera in hand to see what he could encounter while enjoying the nature of the coastal wild spots. 
 
Below is a post written by him and his adventures of the day.

SATURDAY 9TH OCTOBER 2022 
UNEXPECTED WILDLIFE ENCOUNTERS

On Saturday 9th Sept 2022 I was in North wales for a few days on the coast, I had planned to go to aber ogwen spinnies nature area to see if the Mute swans were still gathering. On my arrival there I was unable to access the beach and was advised by Bird ringers Kate and Joel not to go on the beach as they were doing a catch of redshank for annual ringing on the Menai Straits as part of SCAN’s monitoring project they also said on the radio let the swan guy know there are 4 Whooper swans in the flock. I managed to count 99 Mute swans = (104 swans) I Was like wow ran to the hide and got some pics of them they then left the flock and flew off towards the great orme. 
They said the cannon net will be going off and banging in around 40 mins they said you were more than welcome to come over once they are in the boxes. I decided to wait in anticipation to see what surprises the wooden boxes on the shore held.
 No description available.
They found something unexpected and very shocked to come across a LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER are rare Wader which you don't tend to see. They also had over 150+ redshank 1 of which was an Icelandic redshank) and 5 Curlew sandpipers. It was a fantastic experience to watch. I learnt so much about SCAN and BTO wader ringing. They put silver rings on all the birds before weighing and taking wing and beak length. It was a Wicked day and one that I will remember for a long time.

 Thank you for reading

Diaries of Cheshire wildlife watcher brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment