Sunday 6 May 2012

Grebe update - footage at last

A few days ago I setup a camera on the Grebe nest and left it there for a few days on a wooden post I placed there and now there are used to it so now I don't have go near the nest so they are not disturbed. I have led a wire from the camera about 50m away into the reed beds and I connected up to the usb power wire to my battery in my kayak and connected to the monitor to see what was going on at the nest. I was amazed to see a Grebe sitting on the nest with one egg and the camera was in focus as the Grebe left and came back to the nest to incubate the egg. Hopefully she will lay some more and they will hatch and it will be the first time they have ever bred here and fingers crossed for some close-ups if they allow us to kayak next to them when they carry the chicks on there backs.
The male Mute Swan seeing of the Geese on the water which nest on the opposite side of the lake as well as the both Grebes watching the nest and as they don't pose a threat to the Swan they are left alone.
Here's some night footage from the early hours of Friday morning and as I set a camera with night vision lights so it can film them at night and in the day.

My next shot to get is a Grebe on the nest in the rain as well as they catching fish in the background but first I need some rain and a shelter for my kayak to keep all my kit dry. So wish me luck and tomorrow I will bring the final nest with a few others that coming along slowly.

Thanks for reading

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment