Tuesday 24 August 2010

Exploring salt plains wasteland on Cledford Lane

Today I wanted to explore an area in Middlewich where I go past everyday on my way to work. The area is next to a canal and has a small brook running along side where signs of otters have been found.
The area is on an elevated piece of land and is mainly scrub with lots of brambles, weeds with seeds (thistles), young trees and dry salt beds. I think the salt beds get pools of water as there were empty pond shapes around the plains with aqua plants growing in them I think they they must fill up in the winter which then could attract lots of waders which come to the area to rest and feed on the sodden salt plains and the marshy and muddy part of the brook.  In the hour I was there I saw 2 Kestrels, 1 Sparrowhawk and many Goldfinches feeding on the thistles there were also signs of  foxes and the area had lots of rabbits running about meaning the possibilities of Buzzards, weasels and stoats hunting in the area.



No comments:

Post a Comment